The Head & Neck Clinic
Based out of the Walter C MacKenzie Health Sciences Centre at the University of Alberta Hospital, The Head & Neck Clinic represents a team of surgeons, physicians and health professionals dedicated to the care of head and neck cancers and surgical diseases of the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
The Head & Neck Clinic strives to improve our patients’ access to:
Information regarding their disease
Diagnostic studies (imaging, biopsies)
Multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary teams
The Head and Neck Clinic offers access to these services in an effort to provide our patients with the highest quality care for their head and neck cancers and surgical thyroid and parathyroid disorders during their journey from diagnosis to recovery.
The Head and Neck Clinic strives to be recognized locally, nationally and internationally in patient care, knowledge creation, education and advocacy related to head and neck cancers and thyroid and parathyroid disorders.
In order to support this mission The Head and Neck Clinic will strive to:
Provide the highest quality of clinical care by:how
1. Improving patient access to specialist consultation, diagnostic testing, biopsy procedures and pre-operative treatment planning when they are suffering from cancers and other diseases of the head and neck and thyroid and parathyroid glands.
2. Improving patient access to surgical care when it is indicated for the treatment of head and neck cancer and thyroid and parathyroid disorders.
3. Improving the availability and understanding of information regarding patient diagnosis, treatment plans and post-operative care for patients suffering from cancers and other diseases of the head and neck and thyroid and parathyroid glands.
4. Assisting in the creation of evidence-based care pathways.
5. Supporting Alberta Health Services quality initiatives by providing guidance to related Clinical, and Strategic Clinical, Networks.
6. Advocating for the infrastructure and resources required to provide excellent and sustainable care for patients with head and neck cancers and thyroid and parathyroid disorders.
7. Facilitating the recruitment of highly-trained surgeons with expertise in head and neck cancer and thyroid and parathyroid disorders.
8. Recognizing excellence in clinical care.
Foster an environment of research excellence by:how
1. Promoting collaboration between Head and Neck Surgeons and related disciplines across specialties.
2. Supporting the creation of new knowledge through mentorship, leveraging of existing research resources, and new recruitment.
3. Providing personal recognition for clinical and basic science research excellence.
Transfer knowledge to healthcare professionals and the public by:how
1. Promoting education and learning regarding Head & Neck and Thyroid & Parathyroid disorders for our community.
2. Supporting the development of advanced training programs in Head & Neck and Thyroid & Parathyroid surgery.
3. Providing opportunities for healthcare student exposure to Head & Neck and Thyroid & Parathyroid surgery through lectures or observational experiences.
4. Creating a lecture series and electronic resources for the public on Head & Neck and Thyroid & Parathyroid topics related to prevention, early diagnosis, and expert treatment.
Create an environment of collegiality and respect by:how
1. Providing leadership through example.
2. Promotion of a positive work environment.